Tips For Thanksgiving: Freezing Your Pies!
By Antonio Hunt, Pie Bar Woodstock
As we inch even closer to Thanksgiving, it can seem very overwhelming. Having to think about things like: are you staying home or heading to family? What do we want to have on our Thanksgiving table this year, and will it be enough? Or too much? All of these questions can honestly make you feel crazy, which is why I am here to help with some of those questions! I am going to tell you all about what sort of pies freeze really well if you want to get them early. I am also going to tell you how to thaw them out, that way you can make the best decision for your needs this Thanksgiving! Now that we have that all setup, let us get to the details:
What Pies Freeze Well?
In terms of pies that freeze well, we thankfully carry a bunch that freeze great!
- Apple Streusel
- Bourbon Chocolate Pecan
- Chocolate Chess
- Cherry Crumble
- Brown Sugar Chess
- Pumpkin Praline
How Do I Freeze My Pies?
Thankfully freezing pie is very simple, and very easy!
- Firstly, you will take your sweet pie and put it inside of your freezer, you will want to make sure it is uncovered when it is freezing.You are going to leave it in there overnight to let it freeze thoroughly (approx. 8 hours at least).
- Once that pie is fully frozen, you will want to wrap it in plastic wrap or foil wrap! You will then label it and date it, frozen pies can last approximately 6 months in your freezer!
How Do I Thaw & Recrisp My Pies?
Well my friend just like with the freezing process, it is both very easy and very simple!
- Firstly you will unwrap the pie, then you will place the unwrapped pie inside of the refrigerator. This will begin the thawing process, which takes approximately 8 hours so I would personally plan on thawing it out the night before you are planning on having it! This way once the morning hits, you should have a sweet pie that is all ready for you!
- Re-crisp your pie in the oven at 350 F for approx. 5 - 10 minutes! We recommend placing the pie on a baking sheet for easy baking.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy "all the way" (warm with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream). P.S. - We carry pints of locally handcrafted Vanilla Ice Cream from Butter & Cream that can be stored in your freezer 'til you're ready to enjoy your pie!
With how busy the holiday season can be, freezing your pie can be helpful if you're traveling, celebrating early, or if you're overwhelmed with the amount of leftovers you have after the Holiday! I truly hope that this helps with any questions you may have when it comes to freezing pies!
If you need a further breakdown on how to freeze the pie, click right here for a full detailed breakdown on how to store and freeze pies!